Friday, May 30, 2008

Travel the world and come home a changed man




Catanduanes. . . Home of the mythical waves. . . Home of my wandering soul

Lying east of mainland Bicol, the kidney-shaped island of Catanduanes is a paradise to surfers and nature lovers. This virtually untouched island is famous for its pure beaches, pre-historic caves, humungous waves, archaic stone chapels, and colossal cathedrals.

This island has been my refuge for as long as I can remember. This is the place I find solace and peace during the hot summer days. My memories of this beautiful and serene isle are beyond compare. When the hassle and bustle of the city takes the best of my chaotic life, you know where to find me.

What to see in the island?

Bato Church. Built in 1830, this church is a concrete example of an antique cathedral that has stood over a hundred years of war, destruction, and natural calamities. If historic places are your thing, this church is a must-see.


Batalay. A town of Bato, Batalay is home to some of the serene beaches in Catanduanes. It has a long shoreline of untouched, clean beaches (it’s not a white sand beach though). If a quiet walk on the beach or a calm sunset watch is what you want, this is the best place to visit.


Virac Church. This church is located at the heart of Virac, the capital town of Catanduanes. Known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception to the locals, this church is built with amazing stained glass windows. Offer your prayer at this church when you visit Catanduanes.


Puraran. The surfing site of Catanduanes. Home of the majestic waves, Puraran is found in the southern part of the island in the town of Baras. It has one of the whitest and most beautiful beaches in the island, not to mention colorful underwater views. If a great surfing site and a good relaxing place is what you are looking for, you know where to go.

Batong Paluay. It is said that the image of Our Lady of Sorrow imprinted in a stone is found in barangay Batong Paluay, San Andres. In the past, the image was too small that a magnifying lens is needed to see it. But over the years, the image has increased in size and can be seen with bare eyes. In fact, its storage space has been changed three times to accommodate the growing size of the image.

I haven’t been to Puraran and Batong Paluay. I know I’m missing the fun. But on my next visit to Catanduanes, my destination would definitely be these places. I haven’t even explored half the towns in the island. That would be next in my list. Bon Voyage!

Here are other Catanduanes pics. Enjoy!












0 comments: