Sunday, April 6, 2008

Learning from the Hummingbirds

The Hummingbirds are among the thousands of migratory birds found on earth. They are small in size, in fact the smallest bird in the world, yet they have high metabolism. Nectars and insects are their usual diet. They patiently hover from flower to flower and sip its nectar day in and day out to nourish themselves. Its patience and glamour in floating from flower to flower is truly remarkable. They have though only 5-6 years to live yet they make the most of it. They struggle to live and nurture themselves day after day.

Considering the short lifespan of the hummingbirds, don’t you think it’s quite remarkable that they still skillfully journey from one place to another to nurture themselves yet we humans waste so much time being idle? Ask yourself, where were you five or six years ago? Ten years ago? Twenty years ago? I’m not referring to where you were physically. I’m referring to the state of life you have years ago.

I have passed twenty-four years now and I look back: I’m still young but have I somehow lived my life the way I want it to be? Have I grown? What have I learned in life so far? I try thinking of the positive responses because I know I still have to journey far and traverse an unknown path.

Like the hummingbird, I need to appreciate my life today no matter how sad or short it is. I need to focus more on courage, kindness, and love and less on myself. Like the clever hummingbird, I need to soar from one journey to another cleverly and boldly.

0 comments: